Sunday, October 10, 2010

Nike 10km/Hooha 5.5km recovery run


I know I should be talking about the TNF100 instead but that 50km shiteous run was rather emotional and I'm still very emo about it.
So let me postpone that entry until I'm less hormonal.

But I did return home after the 50km on Saturday with huge arse blisters at the balls of both feet.
Ouch....

I've registered for the Nike 10km which is scheduled one day after the 50km and was initially gonna run it as recovery run.
I didn't foresee how bad TNF100 was gonna be or that I'd be limping the morning of the run.

But once signed up...MUST RUN!!!

I knew I was in no condition to drive.
Thankfully, Alexis (thanks babe!) who finished the 50km with me yesterday was keen enough to drive me to KL for the run.
She too, had signed up for Nike run as well as Hooha.

My race kit for Nike was with Dannie.
I knew he would never bring his phone for the run.
He did mention beforehand that he'd wait for me at the starting area to hand me the shirt with my bib number printed on it...as well as my timing tag.
So I wore my Hooha shirt when I left the house...

Anyway...photo-log will narrate the rest of the story!

* Thankfully found the rest of them behind the starting pen.
Dannie quickly strap on my timing tag and I quickly pull the Nike shirt over my Hooha one.
I was a little too shy to do a mini-strip show for the crowd in front of me.
Perhaps once I've achieved some six-packs and arms of steel....PERHAPS!!!

* It was actually rather warm wearing both the shirts...I know...DUH!
Right after putting my gear on, snap some pictures here and there...and it was time to run.
I guess Alexis and I arrived just in the nick of time.

* The turn out for this run was amazing!
I've never seen that many runners wearing the same shirt in one place in this country.
(I've seen it several times before in Singapore.....but we're not here to compare...)

But I think the attendance was not 100% as I know many runners who signed up for the shirt but were unable to run as they were engaged in other races elsewhere...case in point, Singapore's Newton 30km and their Mizuno Wave happening on the same day. Not to mention the K.O.M. (King of the Mountain) Bike Race in Ipoh!!!

* One thing I really like about races is that you keep bumping into people you know.
This morning, bumped into Uncle Gary and Lee Yong (who's training incredibly hard for sub-5 for Macau Marathon end of the year...whom Uncle Terence managed to persuade to try and lose 3kg in hopes of attaining that sub-5).
They were surprised that I was still running after the 50km that I've done yesterday.
No wonder Uncle Gary always have this thought in mind that I'm mentally unstable....sheesh!

* The route that we were running starts from the park at KLCC......and looped around KL's busiest areas.....one of them being the Bukit Bintang area.
We ran past Lot 10 shopping center which was the starting point for the Hooha 5.5km fun run.
Both runs start an hour apart, Nike being earlier.
That was why we've planned to run Nike...quickly run over to the above area...and run Hooha.
Of course I didn't make it as I was incredibly SLOW!!!

I'm actually pretty amazed that the organizers for both races managed to close off many of the main roads in KL that we ran in!!!! These have some of the busiest traffic in the whole of KL!!!

* No matter how slow I get.....I was assured that there were plenty of people behind me. I felt that a lot of people joined this race for the shirt. Definitely plenty of walkers!!!!

* The heat was getting to me and I SO needed to take off one of the shirts that I was having on.
I quickly ran behind a telephone booth....and in front of this old 'makcik' (elderly Malay lady), did my quickie strip show revealing my rather unattractive sports bra and took off my Hooha shirt.
I did feel SO much cooler and lighter with just one shirt on! I know...DUH!!!
(but nope...don't feel too sexy post-strip show)

* The water stations never had enough cups.
So they started a trend of sharing 1.5L water bottles.
The volunteers would open the cap...pass it on to one runner, who passes it on to another and another...
And if the water does not get finished, it will be placed on the side walk...where any runner can pick it up for hydration....once finished, be placed back on the side walk, further down the road.

Great way to save on the paper cups!!! (but we'll skip the unhygienic part)

* One stretch of the route, we were running on the Ampang-KL Elevated highway which had one of the best views of the KL highrise!

* The general vibe for this run was FUN!
Cheerleaders cheering the runners on was definitely FUN!
I wonder why they don't have GUY cheerleaders...that would be more fun for the female runners.....oh well, just a thought.

* Plenty of cute-sy signage like this one along the way, serving as distance markers.

* Thanks Alexis for this photo.
We were running straight for the finish line.
My legs were leaping with joy at the sight of the finish line.
Both my feet were yelping with pain for most of the 10km.
I promise you, my darling legs....that we will have LOW MILEAGE this coming week!
I'll try and keep that promise....

* Woohoo!!! We're done....
Came in at 1:38-ish.....I know....SLOWWWW......

* Good job to Alexis for completing the 50km yesterday...and the 10km today!!!
And thanks for the lift this morning....

By the time we finished running Nike, collected the freebie, got ourselves something to drink...it was almost 2 hours and we calculated that Hooha would have finished as well.
We quickly walked over to Lot10 to collect the freebies as we have the goodie-bag collection slip that came with the race kit.
And then walked back to KLCC where the cars were parks.

So all in all....we sorta ran 10km today...and walked about 5km....

And did I mention I am in pain?
Oh well.....I kinda enjoy this sorta pain.

Later!!!

p/s: I also promise to do the write up on TNF100 once the lability in mood settles....

21 comments:

Jamie said...

Salute you lady!

deo said...

Great effort there, Doc! Let's see how low of mileage are you going to put this week :-)

RaYzeef said...

congrats Doc, you're one consistent runner! rest well and continue running:)

June Malik said...

like i said, crazy awesome doc ..

Yimster said...

remember doc, low mileage week hokay. low mileage means 10km or less ya :)

think you seriously need the good rest and a bit of fattening up for the next challenge to come!

pearl izumi said...

Congratulations!
Nice photo log..

ian yusof said...

:) ... pain is pleasure!

great job there buddy. I did a 6km recovery at KLCC park yesterday and it was aaaarrrgggghhhhhh ....

IJAM said...

Dear Dr Pui san...one hella fit lady!! crazy some more...
keep it up...love the sports!!
Congratulations

fusuna said...

woaahhhh u are absolutely crazy! 100K Duo, 50K, 10K non-stop!!! woahhhh salute you iron lady!!

Puisan said...

thanks guys!!!!

I am starting to think that I'm a little overboard myself.
And I promise that this week will be low running mileage.
(I can still bike or go gym right?!)

Anonymous said...

Good post! We are linking to this great article on our website.

Keep up the great writing.

My webpage ... cheap air max 2012

Anonymous said...

For most up-to-date news you have to go to see the web and on the web I found this web page as a most excellent site for most recent updates.


Here is my weblog - cheap nike free run 3

Anonymous said...

If you are going for finest contents like me, just
visit this web site everyday because it provides feature contents, thanks

Here is my site :: Nike Free Run

Anonymous said...

Very descriptive blog, I liked that bit. Will there be a part 2?



My web-site ... fake ray ban sunglasses

Anonymous said...

Awesome post.

Also visit my web-site ... running shoes

Anonymous said...

If you would like to obtain a good deal from this post then you have to apply such strategies to your won webpage.


My web page; ralph lauren outlet online

Anonymous said...

Pretty! This was an incredibly wonderful article. Many thanks for providing this info.


my blog: cheap ralph lauren

Anonymous said...

Today, I went to the beachfront with my children.
I found a sea shell and gave it to my 4 year old daughter and said "You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear." She placed
the shell to her ear and screamed. There was a hermit crab inside
and it pinched her ear. She never wants to go back! LoL I know this is totally off topic but I had to tell
someone!

Feel free to visit my website ... Ray Ban Outlet

Anonymous said...

This design is steller! You definitely know how to keep a reader entertained.
Between your wit and your videos, I was almost moved to start my own
blog (well, almost...HaHa!) Fantastic job. I really loved what you had to say, and more than that, how you presented it.
Too cool!

Have a look at my homepage ... Cheap Ray Bans

Anonymous said...

It is appropriate time to make some plans for the future and it's time to be happy. I have read this post and if I could I wish to suggest you some interesting things or suggestions. Perhaps you can write next articles referring to this article. I want to read even more things about it!

My blog: polo ralph lauren outlet online

Anonymous said...

internet pharmacy celebrex buy online It is interesting. Tell to me, please - where I can read about it?